What is ADD/ADHD?
An estimated ten percent of children in the United States are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. The standard attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder diagnosis is divided into three types.
- The inattentive type diagnosis is for children with attention deficits but no problem with hyperactivity. Most people refer to this as ADD.
- The hyperactive/impulsive type diagnosis is used for hyperactive children, who might also be impulsive. Most people refer to this as ADHD
- The combined type is for children with both inattentive and hyperactive/impulsive behaviors.
- Difficulties listening (even when being directly addressed)
- Difficulties paying attention to details and avoiding careless mistakes
- Difficulties completing tasks and assignments
- Difficulties with organization
- Difficulties keeping track of possessions and materials – toys, clothes, homework papers and school supplies
- Easily distracted
- Poor short term memory skills
- An energy level that parents and teachers consider excessive
- Squirms and fidgets even when seated
- Gets up when expected to remain seated
- Runs excessively and climbs in inappropriate situations
- Difficulties playing quietly
- Is always on the go
- Talks excessively
Symptoms of Impulsiveness
- Blurts out answers before the teacher or parent has finished asking the question
- Difficulties waiting for his or her turn
- Interrupts conversations or other’s activities
The best learning environment for a student with ADD/ADHD is always one-on-one. This allows each student to focus clearly on information being presented without distractions. At PRIDE Learning Center our teachers deliver each lesson one-to-one in a patient and nurturing environment. Our structured, systematic and sequential program helps children develop a routine and consistency in their learning. We are aware that children who have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD are bright, creative and multitalented children. We give them the confidence and self-esteem they need to become independent and successful learners.
To Schedule an Appointment, Call 1-866-774-3342